Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Saddened but not surprised

It is an indication of my recent preoccupations that I have not noticed that one of the blogs I have found most useful in the anti-EU fight, Autonomous Mind, has decided to leave the battle field. This is very bad news, indeed, even though it is several months old. Autonomous Mind produced some excellent and detailed analyses of events and of legal aspects of the European project. One can but hope that the blog will stay up there for a little while so we can all continue to raid its archives for our own purposes.

On the other hand, I am not surprised by the decision as it is explained in the last posting:
The simple fact is that, having fallen out of love with politics some time ago, I have now decided that I no longer wish to continue my stand for the things I believe in. This isn’t because of any change of view on my part; rather it is because too many people who claim to share my objectives exhibit staggering ignorance of history and facts, incredible stupidity, intolerance of others and unswerving belief in conspiracy theories that do not stand up to even basic factual scrutiny.

I fear that despite the best efforts of some great people, those I have referred to above will undermine any chance of us achieving British independence from the EU or the implementation of real democracy for the British people. I hope they do not hobble the efforts of good people to change this country for the better, but the risk is significant.

A visit to Twitter, the comment threads of the Telegraph, or on Breitbart London, reveals a particularly vicious, xenophobic and deluded collection of people who not only repel the very people the anti EU side needs to win over, but has now repelled me too. I just don’t want to be associated with such people. I don’t want to have to engage with them, or even challenge what they say. They nauseate me and now I just can’t be bothered. There are plenty of other things I can devote my time to where I don’t have to come into contact with their unique brand of bile and false assertions which mark them out as effectively nasty and unhinged individuals.
Let's just say that my preoccupations and reluctance to blog have had something to do with very similar depressed thoughts. I have, on occasion, written about it as well. For the time being I intend to go on blogging and even blogging about the EU and related matters. But, to quote, a splendid musical: I'm reviewing the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment